Bathurst Manor and Wilson Heights are quiet neighbourhoods located in the north-central part of Toronto. Its large Jewish population revolves around the many Jewish cultural and learning centres as well as Synagogues situated throughout this area. There are also many families of Italian heritage in this neighbourhood whose children attend St. Robert Separate School on Sheppard Avenue. In addition to excellent public and separate schools, the area boasts six local parks, two greenbelts, two hospitals, a community centre, local bus service and close proximity to Toronto's commuter highways.
The majority of the houses were built in the late 1950's and the 1960's. The mix of housing in this neighbourhood includes ranch style bungalows, split-level and semi-detached homes, townhouses, and contemporary style houses. Dublin's housing stock is situated on suburban size lots with an average of fifty to sixty foot frontages.
The Balmoral subdivision located at Faywood and Joel Swirsky Boulevards is a nice collection of newer custom built homes with smart looking stone and brick exteriors. The entrance to this exclusive subdivision is marked by a stone pillar gateway at Faywood Boulevard.
The area also contains rental apartment buildings although these are located on the periphery of the neighbourhood.
The area was originally named Dublin Heights and began as a farming hamlet in the early 1800's. It was named after Dublin Farm which was located near Sheppard Avenue and Dufferin Street. Dublin Farm was owned by William Duncan, who emigrated to Canada from Ireland in 1827 and paid $3.50 an acre for his 200 acre farm.
William Duncan had a significant impact on the growth of Dublin Heights. He personally oversaw the building of Dublin Heights first school and hired the first schoolmaster. Duncan also served as a highly respected Justice of the Peace for York Township.
The Watson family, also from Ireland, opened the first general store and post office in Dublin Heights in 1854. This post office was originally called "Carronbrook," however that name was changed in 1878 to "Dublin" in recognition of William Duncan and his landmark "Dublin" farm.
The Dublin post office was closed in 1955 when the present day neighbourhood was being developed. The only tangible reminder of the history of Dublin Heights is the cornerstone from the circa 1872 Dublin Schoolhouse. This cornerstone is mounted on the main entrance wall of the present day Dublin Heights School, located on Bainbridge Avenue.
Faywood Arts - Based Curriculum School - Jr. Kindergarten to Grade 8
Dublin Heights E and MS - Jr. Kindergarten to Grade 8
Wilmington ES - Jr. Kindergarten to Grade 4
Charles H. Best MS - Grade 5 to Grade 8
William Lyon Mackenzie CI - Grade 9 to Grade 12
Sir Sandford Fleming Academy - Grade 9 to Grade 12
To find out which schools are associated with your prospective new home, please click here to access the TDSB Street Guide and enter the street name only.
Bus service in the interior of this neighbourhood along Wilmington Avenue and Faywood Boulevard connects passengers to stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line. The Wilson Heights, Wilson Avenue, Sheppard Avenue and Finch Avenue buses also connect to stations on the Yonge-University-Spadina subway line.
Bathurst Street is the main arterial roadway serving this neighbourhood. It provides motorists with a direct route downtown and also provides southbound commuters with access to Highway 401.
Sheppard Plaza, located at the north-west corner of Bathurst Street and Sheppard Avenue, is anchored by a large supermarket and includes a Jewish bakery, a drug store, a dry cleaner, banks, fast food outlets and a post office.
The Bathurst Manor shopping plaza, located on Wilmington Avenue, is anchored by a large grocery store and includes drug, liquor and hardware stores, a Kosher bakery and deli, a jewellery store, and a party planning store.
The strip shopping plazas that line Wilson and Sheppard Avenues feature a large variety of food stores, restaurants, beauty salons, fashion wear, convenience stores and professional offices. The Jewish food shops are known for their pita, chalah and rye breads, montreal-style bagels, smoked fish, and prepared foods. The Filipino food shops carry various exotic delicacies such as imported noodles and rices, coconut milk, and an assortment of dried fish including herring, anchovies and squid.
The North York Centennial Centre, located at 580 Finch Avenue West features a popular ice arena that is used for figure and pleasure skating and hockey programs. In the summer this rink is used for in-line skating.
The Irving Chapley Community Centre is located in Wilmington Park off Wilmington Avenue. This community centre features a tot's play area, meeting rooms and an outdoor pool and water play area. Wilmington Park, located next to the community centre features tennis courts and a baseball diamond.
The Bathurst Jewish Centre at 4588 Bathurst Street is a multi purpose facility with 5000 square feet of state-of-the-art cardiovascular conditioning equipment, 50 fitness classes a week, indoor and outdoor pools, weight training, indoor and outdoor track, tennis, basketball, and a myriad of children's and adults programs. This centre is also the home of the Leah Posluns Theatre and the Koffler Gallery.
The Forest Valley Outdoor Education Centre located at 60 Blue Forest Drive is operated by the Toronto School Board. This centre is located in a wilderness setting in the West Don River Valley and provides school children with an opportunity to explore and to learn about Toronto's natural habitat.